Thursday 26 November 2015

Brussels Tops

After providing us with two 2-person servings of sprouts, my single "Brilliant" Brussels Sprout plant is finished - all but the Top, that is. The Top (growing tip) of a Brussels Sprout plant is just like a Cabbage and should be treated as such. You seldom see Brussels Tops for sale in the shops, despite the vast quantities of sprouts that we consume, so presumably they are thrown away and thus wasted. Not in my garden, they aren't!

It was cold and wet when I cut my Brussels Top, so I didn't photograph it outdoors like I normally do, but here it is, disassembled ready for cooking:


I have kept only the best bits, and discarded any damaged leaves, or ones affected by the Sooty Mould. There was still a decent amount left, including some dark green leaves, some pale green ones, and even a few more sprouts - though these are very tiny.


Maybe if I show those sprouts in close-up I can pretend that they are big...?


I am planning to cook a meal based on Venison tomorrow, so this Brussels Top will make a suitable accompaniment. I'll serve it very plain - just shredded and then boiled in salted water for a couple of minutes until tender.


Any that is left over will probably go into some Bubble and Squeak, just like the Savoy Cabbage from last weekend...

9 comments:

  1. I didn't know what bubble and squeak was so I had to look it up. Sounds delicious. I like all those crusty bits. Think I'll try it. The pictures of the tiny sprouts nestled in the larger and contrasting darker leaves are very emotive, especially today as we Americans celebrate the harvest with our families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photo's look good, such lovely food Mark, I love Brussels Sprouts.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a treat. Back to food waste again, I doubt any gardener would discard anything worth eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember when I last had Brussels Sprouts. Looking forward to your dish with venison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sprout tops are my mothers favourite. Unfortunately my sprout plants haven't come to much. I've noticed stems of sprouts in the supermarket it's a pity they don't keep the tops on isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice batch of Brussels sprouts/top you have there. Do you have an opinion as to whether the harvest from this single plant was better, worse or the same with the larger spot it was allotted in the bed this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, to be honest I don't think it was much different! I was hoping for more / bigger.

      Delete
  7. I'm looking forward to our first sprouts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, lovely. Sprout tops are one of my faves. I have no chance of them this year though! I might get some late spring if I'm lucky.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.