Friday 18 November 2011

The Birds' Berry Bar

At this time of the year our bird population is spoilt for choice when it comes to deciding what to eat. Even in my small garden there is a nice variety of different offerings from which to make their selection:-

Callicarpa aka "Beauty Berry"

Sorbus

Dogwood

Asparagus

Asparagus
 
 Here's one for any Mediterranean visitors....

Olives

These aren't berries, but I think the birds (especially the Goldfinches) will appreciate them nonetheless:

Marjoram seed-heads

11 comments:

  1. A beautiful post Mark. Is the Callicarpa that actual colour? It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toffeapple; Yes, the Callicarpa is genuinely that colour. Isn't it beautiful? Certainly deserves the name "Beauty Bush".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always try to leave lots of seed heads for the birds. Do your birds actually eat the purple berries?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dogwood - are they what I know as 'Snowberries' or are they something different?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Esther; No, Snowberries are something different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue; Yes, I have seen Blackbirds tucking into the Callicarpa berries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like your feathered friends have a nice treat in store for them. I've left many seed heads on my flowers but just returned from the store today with another 40lb bag of bird seed for the resident flock of sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a grand choice of colourful berries for your birds! Around my place, we don't have too many berries. I can only think of two kinds: gooseberries and banyan tree berries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what lucky birds.
    Michelin Star quality for the bird world ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has got me wondering - do birds find some berries poisonous too?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.