Monday 29 December 2014

Harvest Monday - 29th December 2014

This past week has been very different, for a number of reasons. For a start, there was Christmas (which Jane and I spent with our daughter Emma and her family). Then there was the cold. I mean "The Cold". We have both been struck down with an exceptionally severe cold, with all the usual symptoms: headache, blocked / runny nose, sore throat, coughing etc.  A cold like this is so debilitating. You don't feel like doing anything, and hot drinks and paracetamol only go so far.... Oh and then there has been the other type of cold - the weather. Many parts of the UK have had thick snow, but we have so far escaped that, though we have had a heavy frost a couple of nights.




In view of the above, I have not done much gardening, despite having the leisure time to do it. A couple of brief harvesting forays have been about it. I got a nice batch of Parsnips, about which I will write more fully tomorrow:


And another small picking of Brussels Sprouts:



If I had felt like it, I could have harvested some more salads, but to be honest I didn't feel up to it - and anyway we haven't been eating anything much at all...


This is my entry to Harvest Monday, hosted by the ever-dependable Daphne's Dandelions. I hope someone else has something more ambitious to show off!



9 comments:

  1. Those frost-covered plants are lovely. I hope you and your wife are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still expecting to get the cold virus that Martyn has had for three weeks and we too seem to have so far escaped any heavy snow, Those sprouts seem much cleaner than ours. I think whitefly spoiled our outer leaves,

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic harvest you had. I can't wait until the day I have my own garden to grow fruit and veg! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas
    Alex | My Froley

    ReplyDelete
  4. While you have been getting cold weather, we have had unusually mild weather for this time of year which means I was able to harvest a few herbs for Christmas - something I have never done before. Take care & hopefully you are both back to your normal selves soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're both feeling better soon. I hate it when people say, oh it's JUST a cold, as it's blooming miserable for you when you're feeling so under the weather. On the plus side, you've got some lovely seasonal crops to keep you topped up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are few things more miserable than a nasty cold, especially over the holidays, it spoils the fun. I hope you and Jane make a quick recovery. The good thing about the other cold is that those sprouts will be sweeter than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you feel better soon. I hate getting sick especially over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sprouts and parsnips!? Wonderful harvest. I had nothing but a small handful of perennial herbs. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.