Friday 12 April 2013

Roquefort and Walnut Spread

Some while ago we bought a jar of "Roquefort and Walnuts Delight" at a craft show / country fair.


I used some of it to make some crostini, which were absolutely delicious.



Since then I have been looking out for this product, but I have not been able to find it on sale except on the websites of businesses located in France, so I resolved to have a go at making it myself.

This is the method I used:-
  • In a food-processor, finely grind 40g walnuts
  • Break 100g Roquefort cheese into small pieces and add it to the walnuts
  • With the food-processor operating at a slow speed, gradually drizzle into it 5 Tbsp light olive oil, as if making mayonnaise.
  • When the mixture is blended to a smooth paste, add a pinch of paprika and process the mixture a little more
  • Put the mixture into a suitable dish and garnish with another tiny pinch of paprika

I used some of this to make some more crostini. All you have to do is toast a piece of bread (I used some home-made Rye bread), spread some of the Roquefort and Walnut Spread on it and put the toast back under the grill for a minute or so to melt the cheese. Yummy!


I think a dollop of this served on top of a beef steak would be wonderful!

***********************************************************************************
P.S. (A rant: nothing to do with the post above...) This morning I went to use PicMonkey.com, my preferred photo-editing tool, and I found that its owner has suddenly decided that, without giving any notice at all, the product is no longer supported on Internet Explorer 8 (which I have on my laptop PC). OK, I know IE10 is available now, but IE8 is hardly ancient. When I open PicMonkey now it very patronisingly says "Love your vintage browser..." Ugh, how incredibly cheesy. PicMonkey very "kindly" tells you that since IE8 is no longer allowed you can download Google Chrome, or Firefox, to get yourself out of the problem you have created for yourself.

These people are demonstrating a huge degree of arrogance by showing such unconcern for their customers that they consider it acceptable to make change like this with no warning at all. We are all at their mercy. Decisions made in their boardrooms can affect millions of people all round the world in an instant. Depressing, isn't it?

11 comments:

  1. Your rant sounded very technical to me. Though I will be trying to leave my own rant regarding work today out of this weekends blog post. Back to your recipe I will try it on Mike. He adores blue cheese where as it is not my taste at all so we always seem to have a bit left over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely delicious! For someone who's still trying to figure out the basics, your rant is beyond me. Let's hope it gets sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a bit like the sort of thing Blogger does too. Is PicMonkey in anyway linked to Google as it seems to me both Google and IE products try to prevent people with other browsers from using their utilities easily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, you are absolutely right! There is definitely a Browswer War going on. I originally said in my rant that Google was the owner of PicMonkey, but then I changed it because I'm not 100% sure of that. But it sounds like the sort of thing that Google does!

      Delete
    2. MS do the same - I used to use an MS system to create websites and it wouldn't work with Google.

      Delete
  4. Good rant Mark! Drives me crazy when they do this! I've just migrated to Feedly from Google Reader (at least they've given us plenty of notice) but am having problems with my feeds which I guess will resolve themselves eventually. I don't do change well. Why can't things just stay the same .... at least for a while????? x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have noticed Mark with PicMonkey where a lot of the advanced options such as cloning were free now you have to upgrade to use them. I already use Chrome as my default browser so it`s not a problem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to be devils advocate it is free software and I imagine that whenever they tweak it, it costs them to ensure that it fits all possible browsers....Can I ask why you don't upgrade to IE10?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, the laptop I use belongs to my employer, and they won't allow us to upgrade to IE10 because some of the company's software is incompatible with it.

      Delete
    2. Ah, that makes sense - I was a bit concerned there was a more sinister reason and I shouldn't have upgraded....

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious! Re the rant - while it is their product I agree a heads-up is in order, at least have some modicum of customer serves and say on this date we're changing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.